Bitchings Galore!

Friday, September 01, 2006

Proud of My BM

I came back to Malacca today. I spent my Merdeka day at Ikea with my sister and her bf, who was looking for some lamps for his new home. There were crazy amount of people in Ikea and most of them were there to just have a look around (we bought something ok). The restaurant in Ikea was packed with people but we managed to find a table, actually half a table, to sit at. I had salmon with chives sauce and it cost just RM 11.90. I mean that's cheap for salmon, hence the word "just" in the previous sentence. We had to leave early because we had to attend an uncle's wedding dinner. To be honest, i've never met this uncle of mine before. I went only because i was representing my granduncle who is in Hong Kong.

During the course of the dinner, the emcee for the night started saying some stuff in Cantonese. My uncle migrated to Australia (i think) but he's now living in the UK (i think) and the emcee then reminded him not to forget his Cantonese. Then, i waited for the emcee to say the same thing about his Bahasa Malaysia but sadly the advise didnt come. Why no advise about his BM? Then i started thinking of a common question i always ask myself, why is it when a Malaysian of Chinese descent starts speaking to another Malaysian of Chinese descent in BM, the person who is speaking will, more often than not, receive a weird look by the person listening? Is it because BM is a foreign language to him/her? Did he/she skip all the classes conducted in BM during school?

I speak BM very often. I speak it to my family and my relatives. I speak it to my friends, regardless of race and i think it's great. However, it's not great when i get weird looks because i'm speaking in BM. My sister spoke to some uncle in BM and he asked her why is she speaking to him in BM. Why? Is she speaking in a foreign language? Is BM a foreign language in Malaysia? If it is and you cant bloody understand her, please get the hell out of my country, you prick! I look forward to the day when i can speak BM to any other Malaysian without getting weird looks staring back at me as if i'm some foreigner asking for directions in a foreign tongue.

10 Comments:

At 9:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

coz they dont know that u r baba... and BM is always being associated with they malay race. i think if u speak english, they wont stare as badly.

 
At 1:14 pm, Blogger Stella said...

me sokong glennie! anak baba nyonya rulesss! wahahha
lol!
bm rocks!
jajaja
ok gym time. chaoz.

btw .. the word verification is annoying.

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger -m- said...

I sokong..

Nothing wrong in speaking BM coz I oso campur-campur when speaking at home.

And Lat, word verification good! Only u yang ada problem cikit. Color blind, or mebe u have some problem identifying the alphabets? Hehehehe

 
At 5:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wahahahaha. Time to have your eyes checked.

If no word verification, i'll get spam comments.

Who is anonymous anyway?

 
At 12:44 am, Blogger anthraxxxx said...

I spoke in BM most of the time when I was studying in TES and GBS because 80% of my friends are Baba, Malay and Indian. I started to receive weird looks speaking in BM from my chinese educated classmates once I entered GBS. The sad thing is, we were "discriminated" by these chinese chauvinist during form 1.

In their perception, it might not be too weird to see other chinese speaking in malay with a mandarin accent but it's weirder for them to see both of malaysian chinese speaking to each other in malay with a malay accent.

I am a pure chinese of the hainanese dialect and I am proud to proclaim that I am more fluent in BM than my mandarin muahahakakakaka.

 
At 1:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool. I was from TES and GBS too. TES 1 that is.

 
At 1:59 pm, Blogger anthraxxxx said...

I'm from TES 2.

 
At 11:23 pm, Blogger Stella said...

lol budak gajah berang. pengsan.

eh and i do not have eye sight problem or colour identification problem k! i have perfect eyesight despite the fact that I hate consuming carrots! X(

ask anonymous who r u la. isk. when u coming kl? eh i not goin bk dis weekend. got things to do. lol. shit i juz rememebred today my work reporting in kl town la. somwhere next to allen's ofis oni. shud have followed him sialz. argh!

 
At 1:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wahahahahahahahahahahaha....bongok betui!

 
At 9:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous is gary la...

jus told glenn the other day...

why so interested to know who i am? :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home